So you’ve finally put a deposit down on a new home! Congratulations! Unfortunately, now comes the hard part—the move. Moving into a new location can be exciting, refreshing and…. stressful (especially the packing phase). But it doesn’t have to be! Here are some helpful packing tips to make your transition as painless as possible.
· Color-code your packing boxes and assign colors to different rooms. For instance, use orange duct tape to make note that a specific box is filled with kitchen items. Use green for a box filled with living room décor.
· Keep packing boxes to a maximum of 50 pounds. Heavy boxes mean struggling to carry them, and might require more bodies to move them. Keep boxes to a manageable weight so that one person can easily carry them.
· Use your move as an opportunity to clean out unnecessary items. As you’re rummaging through all of your belongings, you’re likely to find things that you didn’t even remember you had, which means that you might not actually need them! Donate them or throw them out so that you can lighten your load.
· If you can, head into your new home a day before the big moving day so that you clean up a bit. Chances are, surfaces may be dusty or tiles may be moldy. Cleaning beforehand will allow you to start off with a clean slate.
· Keep important can’t-live-without items together. Pack passports, birth certificates, necessary medications, and other important documents and items together, with nothing else. This will ensure that you don’t lose any important paperwork and that you’re not rummaging frantically through boxes to find your medication at a time of need.
· Consider hiring a moving company. You may think you know the basics of moving, but there are some who are well-trained in making successful moves. Hiring a moving company will allow you to make the move with experts on your side.
Moving can be one of the most stressful experiences that we’ll encounter in our lifetime. Make the move a bit easier with these simple tactics!